Sunday, September 12, 2010

I forget to blog now that I am working all day. We do things that are blog worthy and then I share them with no one. Today was blog worthy and I am recapping while it is still fresh on the mind.

Today after church the boys and I went to pick apples with our great friends. We headed outside of town to a farm (our friends knew the people) where there is an apple tree filled with apples free for the taking. We picked all we could reach and filled 2 boxes and a laundry basket before heading back home to begin canning. The kids played together while Lil, her sister and I did some awesome apple canning. We made applesauce that is better than anything bought in the store. One batch was smooth and creamy and another batch that is very chunky and seasoned with spices that make you think of autumn. We spent hours in the kitchen and got through the boxes of apples, but still have a laundry basket full that will be tackled Tuesday afternoon.

Sure, this blog may be a bit heavy with the topic of canning this year, but when you get a cupboard that is filled with goodies like this:
you too would want the world to know.

Right now our "home canned cupboard" consists of: stewed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, salsa, pickles (dill and sweet), relish, jam (many different kinds), applesauce and pear sauce. It's wonderful!! And beautiful!

1 comment:

bp said...

Looks like some blue ribbon winners at the county fair!p